Recently I’ve been feeling really quite sad and stressed. The former probably because of the latter. There are loads of degrading and hurtful thoughts I direct at myself, which can spiral to a point where I lay either in bed or on the floor un-wanting to move because I think everything I do is worthless. There are however steps which I take to stop me hitting rock bottom, usually if I take them I won’t even come near. I thought I would compile a list of things I do that prevent me getting to a dark place, and then things I do to get me through if i do find myself somewhere less than ideal mentally.
These things stop me falling into dark places:
- Reading my bible: If I’m reading my bible regularly and discussing what God is speaking through it with good company (by prayer or fellowship), I find it’s harder for any bad thoughts to get through, because I’m too busy thinking about other things.
- Prayer: When I fall out of the habit of praying before I get out of bed then I’ll often start of my day by checking all my social medias. This immediately puts me in a place of distraction where I’m focused on people.
- Being honest about my emotions: If I feel down for some reason and I keep it to myself, it quickly becomes an unresolved issue that eats me up inside. If I bite my pride and self pity and talk about it, I can stay on top of it and not be consumed.
- Worship: Regular worship is so important; whether that’s sung, artistic or just having a worshipful attitude to work. It reminds me why I do what I do.
Here are things I do to try and get myself out of a bad situation:
- Be productive: I often get stressed because I have left things to do so long I now have loads of things to do at once and I’m only one person. If i set and meet goals I’ll often feel a lot better.
- Remind myself who I am: When voices come saying that I’m worthless, or annoying, or that nobody would miss me, I remind myself what God thinks about me, what the bible says about me, and how my family values me. It is God’s will for me to be a Christian, God wants me here and paid a great price so I could live. God loves to spend time with me, even if people don’t or are too busy, and God is the creator of the universe with better things to do.
- Tell other people: Satan wants us to think we are suffering alone and aren’t worthy or able to ask for help, he wants us to think we are weak and not worth helping. Galatians 6:2 says ‘Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ’. Not only should we help our brothers and sister with their burdens, we also need to humble ourselves and accept that we need help. Even if you just explain the situation and ask for prayer, it’s better than suffering in silence.
- Bring it to God in it’s entirety: Whatever emotion or worry or thought I have that is causing me stress, I should take it to God. Sometimes we feel our problems aren’t real problems, or that mentioning it can be a waste of time, or maybe we are ashamed and too proud to tell God. But God will never be surprised (He see’s everything), and telling Him everything, everything, is the easiest way to let God into your heart, to start to let go and cast your cares upon Him. 1 Peter 5:6-7 ESV:’Humble yourselves… casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.’
Spending time with God, in his word and presence, is the number 1 important thing, the number two is fellowship. But that said, they go hand-in-hand. These lists aren’t exhaustive and something from either list helps in either situation. Sometimes what helps me most is someone telling me I’m being daft, though that doesn’t help everyone. Let me know what helps you, and if you agree/disagree with anything.